We've made it to 1000 grams or 2 lb 3-1/2 oz. After a week of no post this is the most exciting change in Juliana's condition. Over the past week cultures from her central line and iv have been drawn. So far every culture has had growth except for those drawn yesterday and the day before. I keep praying that the bacteria will stop growing. Infectious disease has been wathcing her carefully and are trying to find the right combination of antibiotics to rid her of the bacteria.
It's been a very hard week for us. The doctors had started to wean her morphine drip but today she seemed to be showing signs of pain so they have held off on the wean. She opens her eyes once in a while but spends most of her time sleeping. I am very worried that the necrosis in her intestines won't heal. Her stomas do not look too good right now. They are very dark but still draining (which I don't know if thats good or bad). She had an ultrasound of her belly and her kidneys and everything looks okay. It seems like we are at a stand still. Things aren't really any better but they are not necessarily worse.
Her respiratory is doing well. She has been in about 22-24% oxygen for the last couple of days which is pretty good considering room air is 21%. She will not be extubated any time soon as the CPAP (which is what she will upgrade to) blows a lot of air into the belly. As you can imagine blowing air into her belly will not be very comfortable for her especially with this being her second abdominal surgery.
It's been a very long journey and it's definitely far from over. We will just have to continue to pray and "wait and see". Thanks everyone for all of your support and prayers.