Juliana has been losing weight over the last couple of months. In April we had such a huge jump in weight and we were all very excited. We dropped down to 6 nights of PN and one night of hydration. Went back to clinic in June and she had lost 500 grams which is about a pound. So the plan going forward was to adjust her PN for increased calories and still continue with 6 nights per week.
We were due for a weight check and labs at the end of the week but unfortunatley needed a line repair so we ended up in the ER. They weighed her and much to my surprise she was down another 300 grams (about 10oz). I called in to the CAIR clinic to let them know and see if they wanted to add on the 7th night of PN and they don't. I am not sure what the reason is but they want to wait and see how she looks on Friday which is probably not going to be any better. She missed a whole night of PN and Omegaven due to the line break and was looking very dehdrated as a result. We put her back on as soon as we could but at half rate because of the repair. Until the line is completely dry we can't infuse too fast. We infused over 24 hours instead of 12 to ensure the she got the full amount of her PN. Tonight she will be back on her regular schedule but I don't think her weight is going to be back up and I am not liking the "wait and see" idea at all. I do trust that they will make the right decision for Juliana but I am on the edge of my seat for now.
I understand that these are the ups and downs of having short gut but having never dealt with a weight loss issue I am at a real loss. I cannot give her anymore than she is already getting enterally (through the feeding tube) because of her short gut but maybe we could find some way to increase her calories. I am hoping that we can turn this around real soon and get back on the growth charts.