Thursday, April 1, 2010

Weaning on Hold

So what I was afraid of has come true. After having a fabulous virus free winter we have ended it with a cold. It's quite disappointing because we have waited all winter to start weaning her oxygen and now we have to put things on hold. On the bright side she is not sick enough to require a hospital stay or make her uncomfortable. She has some extra congestion and an occasional cough.

Just hoping this doesn't delay things too much. I am still hoping that we can get her in for surgery this summer. Back to the good old wait and see game.


  1. I hope Juliana feels better soon and she can continue the weaning. Adriana also has a cold, not as bad to go to the hospital but very congested. I do have one question how long did they wait to bump her feeds? I mean when they started her at 1cc cont how long till they went to 2 or 3? Im just wandering

  2. It was quite a slow journey. Right now we are at 13 cc's an hour continuous for 24 hours. We started feeding her in November of 2008 at 1cc an hour. Lately we have been able to increase her about once a month. We base the decision on her stool output. Our goal is to keep her under 2cc per hour per kilo and if she goes lower than 1.7 I try to increase her. If she starts pooping too much we go back down.

  3. Too cute! Love the teeth. Kinnick got a nasty cold over the last couple of weeks, too. This is the worst one she has had all winter - crazy weather. We even had to put her back on O2 during the day several days. She's starting to feel better now and is just about to her normal O2 levels at night.


Juliana Maria was born on July 12, 2008. She is a micro preemie born at 1lb 2oz. 11-1/2 in 23 weeks and 4 days gestational age.