Thursday, November 20, 2008

One of the healthiest babies in the unit...

Juliana is doing remarkably well. It's almost hard to believe. I feel like I am waiting for something bad to happen. It's been almost four weeks since we arrived in Boston and everything is going so well. She is tolerating her feeds and is now up to 5cc per hour. At about 12cc per hour she will be considered at full feeds and will be able to come off the TPN. So we are almost half way there.

It even gets better... Juliana is off the High Flow Nasal Cannula and is now on a regular cannula. This is just a plain nasal cannula that delivers oxygen. Unlike the High flow it delivers just straight oxygen at a much lower pressure. Since she is not requiring so much support and is requiring less care she is eligible to move out of the ICU to a regular care unit. The nurse said to me that Juliana was one of the healthiest babies in the NICU and I almost cried over the phone. To hear that my child is one of the healthiest after being the sickest (not one of the sickest but the sickest) baby in the hospital was unbelievable. We have come a long way and I am grateful for everyday. I just hope we can bring her home before Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. In our NICU we were the sickest babies in the building for a while, I remember though just before we were transferred to the local childrens hospital the nursing student been allowed to bathe one of our girls as they were the healthiest babies in the unit at that time. Boy that was the best praise possible!
    I'm so very glad Juliana is doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julianna - We shared Room #4 at Yale NBSCU, I am Victoria's mom and so happy to see and hear how well you are doing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family everyday. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Juliana Maria was born on July 12, 2008. She is a micro preemie born at 1lb 2oz. 11-1/2 in 23 weeks and 4 days gestational age.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers